PrettyIll.com

Question about POTS?
Posted: 21 May 2015 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2015-05-05

Hello everyone! I strongly believe that I have POTS. My resting heart rate is really low, usually 50-60 BPM but sometimes it’s been in the 40’s. I’ve done countless poor man’s tilt table tests. The majority of the time my heart rate will go up past 130 bpm which is around an 80 bpm jump. It’s even gone all the way up to 170 on a bad day, over a 100 bpm jump. But occasionally I’ll have really good days where it goes from 50 to about 105-110. That’s still a 55 bpm jump, but my heart rate does not go above 120 all the time. If that type of jump was to show up on a tilt table test rather than the higher one, could I still be diagnosed with POTS? I’m worried I’ll be having a good day the day of the test and go undiagnosed :(

Posted: 21 May 2015 08:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1416
Joined  2011-04-19

I remember having the same fears. Most doctors understand that if your heart rate goes up by 30 bpm’s within 10 minutes, it’s POTS—OR if it goes above 120 bpm’s—but you don’t need to meet both criteria. Honestly, you are right—results can vary fairly widely. How can we say that if it goes up 29 bpm’s that it is not POTS? Clearly, some common sense is called for, right? If you are having large swings with the poor man’s TT, I’ll betcha’ my Gatorade that your heart rate will jump significantly on a regular TTT. Let us know? wink

Signature 

Dr.Diana, therapeutic optometrist disabled by EDS/POTS/ME/CFS for a decade, now recovered and practicing full-time at POTS Care cheese

Posted: 21 May 2015 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2015-05-05

Thank you Dr. Diana. You’re such a wonderful person!

Posted: 22 May 2015 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1416
Joined  2011-04-19

Right back atcha’! wink

Signature 

Dr.Diana, therapeutic optometrist disabled by EDS/POTS/ME/CFS for a decade, now recovered and practicing full-time at POTS Care cheese