PrettyIll.com

Bowels and Bloating
Posted: 11 March 2013 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-11-08

Hello everyone,
I realise this isn’t a lovely subject however I am finding I really struggle with constipation and always feeling bound up and yuck. I am also almost always bloated and was wondering if anyone had any hints, tips or tricks to help.
I have tried Metamusil which is a fibre drink. Loads of water which I drink each day anyway because of my illness.
Short of having a colon clease what can I do and do at home.
I send love and blessing to all,
Steph. S
Afflicted with Dysautonomia/POTS

Posted: 26 March 2013 08:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2012-10-08
StephS - 11 March 2013 07:10 PM

Hello everyone,
I realise this isn’t a lovely subject however I am finding I really struggle with constipation and always feeling bound up and yuck. I am also almost always bloated and was wondering if anyone had any hints, tips or tricks to help.
I have tried Metamusil which is a fibre drink. Loads of water which I drink each day anyway because of my illness.
Steph. S

Hi Steph, I’ve had stomach issues for so long, I’ve found several tips and tricks that help with feeling bound up and bloated. Maybe some of my experiences will work for you. I have IBS, so I deal with both sluggish and over-active bowel issues. I use a combo of Rx and OTC meds to deal with my various issues as they come up. Here are some of them.

1. The best thing to come along since sliced bread is probiotics that don’t have to be refrigerated, but still provide live cultures. I get a lot of relief and multiple benefits by taking a good quality, daily Pro-biotic supplement.  Research “probiotics” if you’re not familiar with them yet. I’m not a fan of eating yogurt, so I buy “Sustinex” from Walgreen’s @ $14 for for a month supply.  There are higher priced ones at the Heath food stores, but now that technology allows the supplement industry to provide LIVE Culture of pro-biotic that doesn’t have to be refrigerated and still remind alive, it’s made supplementing your digestive tract with healthy probiotics much easier. BE SURE YOU GET THE KIND THAT GUARANTEES LIVE CULTURES, AND THAT THOSE LIVE CULTURES ARE GUARANTEED TO SURVIVE THE STOMACH’S ACID so that they can live and do their work in your intestines. Btw, antibiotics wipe your digestive track of both good and bad bacterial cultures.

Stay on top of a healthy floral balance in the gut/intestines/colon. They are mild and easy on the stomach. If they were going to irritate any one’s sensitive stomach they’d irritate mine. A week on these and you’ll feel like you’ve lost 5 lbs. If you love Yogurt buy some WITH LIVE CULTURES and eat some EVERYDAY.. read the labels. You have to have live cultures. This makes such a difference for me, when I run out, or forget to take it for a few days, my stomach will act up and get out of whack and remind me. 

2. I keep some Phillips Stool Softener on hand for the times that I get constipated. Certain foods can cause this. Foods, like bananas and too much white rice can be constipating, for example. Also certain medications can cause constipation and bloating. Pain killers will put your gut to sleep and make things slow to a snail’s pace. Pepto Bismol can be constipating… I take it for nausea or diarrhea sometimes. VERY IMPORTNAT: When/if you take stool softeners, you need to take them with a lot of water, b/c what they do is bring water in to your intestines and help hard or impacted, stools soften and get a move on. With blood volume issues you will need to drink even more water than you normally do. DO NOT TAKE LAXITIVES EXCEPT IN EXTREEM SITUATIONS OR AT YOUR DR’S INSTRUCTIONS. They are rough on the digestive tract and cause a dependency by making your colon/intestines lazy. Excessive use can/will also deplete you of vital electrolytes, which will throw your system out of whack easier than you might know.

3. Google/Research several articles about “foods that cause gas”—see how may of these you might be eating on a reg basis or in excess, moderate those foods. Sometimes that bloated, uncomfortable feeling is trapped gas. Some gas is normal and even necessary to keep your bowels moving.

Sometimes, gas can’t get released via the anus/exit due to the exit getting inflamed by foods or dried out due to soaps, etc. A Preparation H type suppository or ointment applied to the anus/exit will help reduce inflammation as well as lubricate the opening and allow intestinal gases to escape as needed. If you’ve got a mini-pad, wear that so you don’t grease up your undies or get any of the melted suppository on a good pair of pants or while sitting in a skirt. It’s not normally a problem, but it can happened.   

4. Too much fiber can cause constipation. Health-care professionals and dietitians say eat more fiber for better regularity and elimination, but I found that theory works the opposite on me. Those foods will clog me up when eaten often. Rice, Shredded Wheat cereal, etc. So I try not to overdo these foods and I drink extra water… again, above and beyond what is needed to help increase my blood volume issue. Google/research “foods that can be constipating”. Maybe it’s something you eat on a regular basis and need to cut back on.

5. I have multiple food sensitivity issues.. Tannin Foods are rough on my stomach. I am also sensitive to Wheat/Gluten foods. I can have them in moderation but if I have them often I bloat easy and get sick. Especially the highly processed Wheat and bread products. It feels to me that during digestion they just turn back in to wet dough that can’t digest well. So, you may need to eliminate or cut back on those items to feel better.  btw, I tested neg for Celiacs disease, but those test are often unreliable and ppl get false negatives, so my doc had me go wheat free anyway, and I did for a year. I truly felt better and lost weight easily. But it did not work completey for me so I allow some wheat and gluten back in my diet.

I hope you feel better soon.

Capri

Signature 

EDS (type TBD), Hyper-mobility 9/9, Occipital Neuralgia, Cervical Disks Bulging C5-C6, FM/CFIDS, IBS, GERD, Adrenal Fatigue, Swollen Lymph Nodes, Faints and Falls, Insomnia (1st sleep study revealed lack of Level 4 deep wave sleep, and 2nd sleep study revealed highly elevated BP during sleep), Tachycardia, Blurred and Double Vision, Tinnitus, Food intolerance, Metatarsalgia, Dyshidrosis of the hands and feet, Endometriosis (prior to hysterectomy.

Posted: 02 April 2013 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2013-04-02

Hi Steph S.! I’m so sorry to hear about your bowel issues and, sadly, I can relate. Since you are still having issues after increasing water and fibre intake, have you considered talking to your doctor about a motility agent of some kind? I had terrible heartburn a few years back and even double doses of PPI’s and Zantac did nothing for me. The problem turned out to be delayed gastric emptying, and Domperidone (or Motilium), which increases the strength of stomach contractions, is what cured me. I only took it when needed for about 6 weeks then was able to stop. Amazing, considering I’d been in terrible shape for nearly a year and had lost over 20 pounds because eating was so painful!

Since your trouble seems to be further down the line, perhaps something like Bethanechol (Urecholine, Duvoid) might help. It also increases muscular tone and contractility in smooth muscle but is more specific to the bladder and intestines. This is a great med for those of us with stretched out organs, whether because of tissue defects or because neurological deficit has diminished their ability to empty appropriately. It’s important to be vigilant about timing this med as it can cause stomach cramps or vomiting if taken too soon before or after eating. Also, dosing can be an issue. I find I do well with a minimal dose first thing in the morning (1/3 of the prescribed 3x/day regimen originally prescribed for me). I still take my ground flax meal, tons of water and let’s not forget the curative powers of Espresso!!! I hope you find the right combo of OTC, lifestyle and medical treatments to feel better soon. smile

Posted: 02 April 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1418
Joined  2011-04-19
StephS - 11 March 2013 07:10 PM

Hello everyone,
Steph. S

OH, boy, StephS, I betcha most of us can relate to this! I was in the emergency room TWICE when it got to be completely overwhelming, and I had tried everything—OTC and Rx drugs. NOTHING was working and the doctors were stumped. Then came bursts of uncontrollable diarrhea (sorry so graphic!) which lasted WEEKS, and again, no cause was found, and I had to end up figuring this out myself! I reach out to you all now. I have patented this (yea) in order to try to bring it to the “right” people (a trusted institution). I don’t want this released as just another potentially quack medication. This is based on strong science, results of our blood work and response to treatment. It has been Doctor-tested (great response). I’m trying to figure out the best way to release this—so I’m looking for a ‘good attorney’ (an oxymoron? ha) and may reach out to a couple of EDS organizations for funding an IRB (ethics committee) test of the medication. If anyone has any doctors who may be interested in this (a confidentiality agreement is needed) or who may know of a life-sciences attorney worth their salt, that would be awesome. If all else fails, I will release this as a purchasable supplement. I just hate to see the science behind it get lost, as it holds many keys to our illness. So frustrating! If anyone can help, I’d be so grateful! Meanwhile, while some things still worked for me, Miralax seemed to be the most consistent for me. If a doctor suggests Reglan, please read the warnings carefully, OK? Big hug….

Signature 

Dr.Diana, therapeutic optometrist disabled by EDS/POTS/ME/CFS for a decade, now recovered and practicing full-time at POTS Care cheese