PrettyIll.com

Tachycardia—-need answer about beta blocker
Posted: 11 June 2013 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-02-02

I have EDS, POTS, MVP, and MCAS. I was wondering why they say you should not be on beta blockers while on cromolyn. I was taken off propranolol to go on cromolyn however my heart rate has been very high so I was put back on propanolol 10 mg. twice a day. I need to know if there is any other alternatives and what the risks are of staying on a low dose of propranolol. Please help!!! smile

Posted: 19 June 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2012-08-29

I too carry the same 3 diagnosis as you. I also take a beta blocker ( bisoprolol 5mg every day)

Beta Blockers trigger degranulation of the mast cell and also plays a role in the pathway of epi release when needed for anaphylxis. Sometimes Glucagon is needed as well as epi if an allergic reaction becomes bad and you are on a beta blocker. Its actually much more complicated than that but ill leave it at that.

AS well as the EDS I have hyper pots and have trouble with epi/nor epi surges and wild BP and heart rate swings. I have tried a plethora of meds, Calcium channel blockers, clonidine, and 5 other beta blockers before we settled on the bisoprolol. The docs I saw at mayo and my dysautnomia doc that the benefits outweighed the risk. I am for the most part very well heart rate and BP controlled and the surges are few and far between now. I know some of the folks I have seen want me off the beta blocker for the MCAS but at this point I am staying on the little bit.
I have so many other things going on ( neck pain, head aches,multiple dislocations, sleep issues, horrible GI issues) currently that the beta blocker issue is one I am leaving alone.

Hope that helped
Brent

Posted: 20 June 2013 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1416
Joined  2011-04-19

I know of a patient with your diagnoses who cannot live without her propranolol! I think if you need a beta-blocker, propranolol is the least likely to be problematic (it’s half life is very short). If it helps you, I wouldn’t worry too much about the mast cell reaction. Be happy that you have something that works for you! wink

Signature 

Dr.Diana, therapeutic optometrist disabled by EDS/POTS/ME/CFS for a decade, now recovered and practicing full-time at POTS Care cheese

Posted: 26 June 2013 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  27
Joined  2013-02-02

Thank you both for the responses. This makes me feel better! I am back on a low dose of propranolol and feel like I’m no longer dying. smile

Posted: 26 June 2013 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]  
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1416
Joined  2011-04-19

It’s kind of funny to know that a “good day” for us is one where we no longer feel “like we’re dying”! wink That’s great news!

Signature 

Dr.Diana, therapeutic optometrist disabled by EDS/POTS/ME/CFS for a decade, now recovered and practicing full-time at POTS Care cheese