PrettyIll.com

Does anyone know of a link between high renin/aldosterone and EDS
Posted: 15 September 2013 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]  
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2013-09-15

Hi,
Before I found out about EDS, I was convinced my hormones were way out of whack. Somehow or other my renin/aldosterone ratio was checked and it turned out to be very high. 4 times higher than normal. It was checked again - second time only twice as high.
Then I asked for a salt loading test -  the renin/aldosterone ratio was at the very upper limit of normal, with normal suppression and urinary excretion. So this proved to be basically a dead end.

My blood pressure is naturally very low, not high.

Anyone else like this?

Posted: 16 September 2013 08:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]  
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  215
Joined  2013-05-17
Bamboozlem - 15 September 2013 11:35 PM

Hi,
Before I found out about EDS, I was convinced my hormones were way out of whack. Somehow or other my renin/aldosterone ratio was checked and it turned out to be very high. 4 times higher than normal. It was checked again - second time only twice as high.
Then I asked for a salt loading test -  the renin/aldosterone ratio was at the very upper limit of normal, with normal suppression and urinary excretion. So this proved to be basically a dead end.

My blood pressure is naturally very low, not high.

Anyone else like this?

Hi,
Yes, and I have the classic form of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome.  EDSers often have hormonal problems.  I have polycystic ovarian disease and had trouble conceiving and maintaining a pregnancy.  My body naturally crave salt so I’m considered a salt loader, and others in my family with the classic form of EDS also salt load, yet we all have low blood pressure. 
Shonda

Signature 

Lab-Scientist-Lady smile
(Texas)